Join our team!
Traffic Engineers, Inc. (TEI) welcomes your interest in our multi-modal transportation planning and engineering team in Houston. Our work focuses on bringing innovative yet implementable transportation solutions to address our clients’ critical mobility and access needs. Our approach to projects is multidisciplinary and integrates land use, economic development, health, and environmental factors to deliver the best outcomes.
We are not actively recruiting at this time. However, we welcome resumes from fun, dynamic individuals with a strong interest in transportation planning or engineering, as well as a desire to dig in and get involved with the communities where they work. Strong leaders, transportation geeks, people who think about transportation in the context of broader community issues, and people with an inclination toward advocacy are most likely to excel at TEI.
Roles & Responsibilities
TEI team members are expected to own and manage components of larger projects and complete small projects independently while working in the broader context of a team. They will be asked to work successfully with clients and the public on projects. They will support outreach and the development of new projects for the firm. They will be expected to grow into leadership roles on their projects, within the firm and in the community.
Qualifications & Requirements
The Associate role is typically for someone with 0-3 years of experience. Senior Associates typically bring 3-7 years of experience.
Previous work or educational experience in some or all of the following areas is strongly preferred:
- Context sensitive and Complete Street planning and design
- Bicycle and pedestrian facility planning and design
- Multi-modal corridor studies
- Traffic studies and traffic impact analyses
- Transit planning
- Capital project planning
- City or regional transportation planning
- Traffic signal design and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- Intersection design including roundabouts
- Traffic engineering, operations, and signal timing
- Urban design
- Safety assessments and traffic calming
- Transit-oriented and economic development strategies
- Grant writing and implementation strategies
At a minimum, the candidate should meet the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, urban planning, transportation planning, or related fields. An advanced degree is preferred.
- For engineering positions, a Professional Engineering license or Engineer-in-Training certification is strongly preferred but not mandatory if candidate is on track to obtain.
- Additional accreditations such as AICP, PTOE are also encouraged.
- Demonstrated excellence in written, verbal, and other communication skills.
- Organization skills and the ability to manage complex projects on-time and on-budget.
- Strong analytic and problem solving ability.
- Demonstrated skill with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated skills in GIS, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), CAD (AutoCAD or MicroStation), traffic analysis and modeling (e.g., Synchro, VISSIM) and other related products are greatly valued.
- A track record of leadership in your work and personal pursuits.
Salary and Benefits
Benefits include medical insurance, bike share membership, commuting benefits, and a retirement savings program. Our time off policy is very flexible and can be designed to meet your needs. Other benefits of the position include a flexible, dynamic work environment and a fun and collaborative office culture. TEI was also recently named the first Gold Level Bicycle Friendly Business in the State of Texas.
Positions may become available in both engineering and planning practices. Many of our employees work on projects across both areas. Salary will be dependent on applicant’s qualifications, position and experience.
How to apply
Please PDF and combine your cover letter and resume and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Letters can be addressed to:
TEI Hiring Manager
801 Congress Street, Suite 325
Houston, Texas 77002-1767