Traffic Engineers, Inc. (TEI) is a professional engineering firm, licensed in the state of Texas (registration # F003158). We provide a comprehensive suite of transportation planning, operations, and engineering design services. We also offer public engagement, construction management, and implementation support. In all projects, TEI seeks to provide innovative, cost-effective solutions to our clients’ challenges, and exceed expectations for excellence in client service.
High-quality planning helps projects perform better economically, socially, and environmentally. Before moving forward with a major investment, clients look to TEI for all forms of planning – including regional mobility plans, corridor plans, bike plans, and transit plans – so they can go forward with confidence. TEI develop plans with a deep understanding of our client’s goals and in alignment with their values. We help build consensus and create momentum so you can move forward to successful implementation.
TEI recognizes that getting the details right requires both technical knowledge and deep understanding of how systems work together. We embrace innovation and context-sensitive designs to provide safe, efficient transportation solutions for all users, respecting the inseparable relationship between transportation and land use.
TEI designs everything from bicycle trails to toll roads, livable streets to highways. Our design experience includes:
- Traffic Signals and Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) for high-performance roadways and intersections
- Innovative intersections ̶ including state-of-the-art signals, roundabouts, and pedestrian crossings – that improve safety and move more people safety and efficiently;
- Tollway and HOV Lane design to improve safety and roadway capacity;
Bikeways, trails, and sidewalks as part of broader networks to accommodate all travelers safely and efficiently
- Pre-engineering of complete streets to identify and address difficult design trade-offs and ensure the final design is in context with adjacent land uses and goals for mobility, access, and safety.
One of the most critical transportation challenges is maximizing benefits from the investment a community has already made in its transportation infrastructure. TEI helps clients make the most of valuable assets through a variety of operations approaches:
- Visualization and performance modeling using state-of-the-art technology
- Traffic signal timing, synchronization, and corridor operation studies
Access management, pavement marking, and signage for high-performance roadways
- On-site circulation for K-12 school, higher-education, retail/office environments, and corporate campuses to ensure everyone arrives and departs safely, whether by car, bus, bike, or on foot.
- raffic Impact Analysis to understand how new development interacts with the adjacent transportation network and identify improvements
TEI believes that public participation is essential to every project. Public outreach is often conceived as an act of listening, but we believe that great outreach – especially on large and complex issues – must listen and educate at the same time. We are able to communicate plans and designs that both educate and energize community members to provide input to shape their communities. We engage well in person, developing and leading experiential events to build understanding and collect community feedback. We also have a track record of using technology to make the planning process more interactive.
TEI serves as a prime consultant for a variety of engineering and planning projects. We appreciate opportunities to partner with excellent firms and create strong teams to best meet the needs of our clients.
Also, contracts for many public projects require participation from small firms that meet certain criteria. TEI can provide excellent project-related experience while meeting participation goals:
- Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County (METRO) certified TEI as a Small Business Enterprise (SBE)
- State of Texas certified TEI as a Historically Underutilized Business (HUB)
- Port of Houston Authority certified TEI as a Small Business Enterprise (SBE)
Please contact us if you are interested in teaming with TEI.
Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) has pre-certified TEI in these categories (PDF):
1.1.1 Policy Planning
1.2.1 Systems Planning
1.3.1 Subarea/Corridor Planning
1.4.1 Land Planning/Engineering
2.12.1 Socio-Economic and Environmental Justice Analyses
3.1.1 Route Studies & Schematic Design – Minor Roadways
3.2.1 Route Studies & Schematic Design – Major Roadways
3.3.1 Route Studies & Schematic Design – Complex Highways
4.1.1 Minor Roadway Design
4.2.1 Major Roadway Design
4.3.1 Complex Highway Design
4.4.1 Major Freeway Interchanges and Direct Connectors
7.1.1 Traffic Engineering Studies
7.2.1 Highway-Rail Grade Crossing Studies
7.3.1 Traffic Signal Timing
7.4.1 Traffic Control Systems Analysis, Design and Implementation
7.5.1 Intelligent Transportation Systems
8.1.1 Signing, Pavement Marking and Channelization
8.4.1 ITS Control Systems Analysis, Design & Implementation
8.5.1 Highway-Rail Grade Crossings
9.1.1 Bicycle And Pedestrian Facility Development